The natural stone you have purchased for your home or office is an investment that will endure for many years. Stone is a natural product, and simple care and maintenance will keep it looking beautiful. Here are some recommendations for routine care and cleaning.
Cleaning Procedures & Recommendations
At Burlington Marble & Granite, we seal all finished surfaces with one of the best sealers available in our industry. Our sealers are nontoxic and safe for use on all food preparation surfaces.
Clean your stone surfaces with warm water and just a few drops of neutral cleaner, stone soap or a mild liquid dishwashing detergent. Too much cleaner or soap may leave a film and cause streaks. Rinse the surface thoroughly after washing with the soap solution, and dry with a soft cloth. Change the rinse water frequently. On marble or limestone surfaces, do not use products that contain lemon, vinegar or other acids. Do not use scouring powders or creams; these products contain abrasives that may scratch the surface.
Dos and Don’ts
- Do clean surfaces with mild detergent or stone soap.
- Do thoroughly rinse and dry the surface after washing.
- Do blot up spills immediately.
- Do protect countertop surfaces with coasters, trivets or place mats.
- Don’t use vinegar, lemon juice or other cleaners containing acids on marble, limestone, travertine or onyx surfaces.
- Don’t use cleaners that contain acid, such as bathroom cleaners, grout cleaners, or tub and tile cleaners.
- Don’t use abrasive solutions such as dry cleansers or soft cleansers.
- Don’t mix bleach and ammonia; this combination creates a toxic and lethal gas.
Feel free to contact us at Burlington Marble & Granite at any time with your questions regarding stone care and maintenance.